A Beginner’s Guide to Picking Out an Engagement Ring
So, you’ve met the perfect person. They’ve turned your life upside down in all the right ways. You know it’s time to make that commitment of a lifetime. To make that commitment, you want to find the quintessential ring that not only suits them but also marks the beauty and rarity of your relationship. If you are stressing about finding that perfect engagement ring, don’t worry, we’re here to help. We’ve put together a beginner’s guide to buying the perfect engagement ring.
For years we have been told that the minimum you should spend on an engagement ring should equivalate to two-months salary. For many people, this just may not be realistic. Today, the average engagement ring, according to The Knot, is $5,978. However, you can still find the perfect ring for a significantly lower cost. Equally important, you don’t want to start your marriage out in debt over a ring. It should be noted that you don’t have to sacrifice quality. Besides, the rule of thumb is, “don’t skimp but don’t sink!”
Before going out on your hunt for the perfect ring, you will need to figure out their ring size. There are many ways you can go about doing this without giving yourself away. Here are a few:
- Find one of their rings that they wear frequently and use a ring sizer to figure out her size. You can easily find a ring sizer online.
- Use our online ring sizer by tracing the inside of one of her frequently-worn rings and matching it to the appropriate circle on the screen.
- Ask a close family member or friend to find out nonchalantly. Make sure this person can keep a secret and has a decent poker face.
Finding Their Style
This engagement ring is going to be one of the most important pieces of jewelry they own. It’s something they are going to be wearing every single day of their lives. Not to mention, they’ll want to sit there and stare at it for hours on end. They are going to want to show it off to everyone they know including their parents, friends, and everyone that follows them on social media!
Furthermore, be sure to study the jewelry they wear, their clothes, and really anything that demonstrates their style. You should be able to pinpoint their personal style and select the perfect ring for them. If you are having trouble with this, you can always go with something classic. A timeless ring has something breathtaking surrounding it.
The Four C’s of Diamonds
Importantly, the Four C’s of diamonds are good to follow when you are looking for that perfect stone. The four C’s consist of color, cut, clarity and carats.
- Color: Diamonds fall on a color scale from D (white) to Z (yellow). Keep this in mind when selecting the color of your diamond.
- Cut: The cut of the diamond refers to the angles and proportions that the diamond cutter makes. The better the cut, the more sparkle your diamond will have.
- Clarity: The clarity of a diamond is crucial. However, inclusions are part of the natural characteristics of your diamond, much like a birthmark or a freckle.
- Carats: This refers to the weight of the diamond. Not all diamond of the same carat weight look like the same size to the naked eye.
But Wait, It’s No Longer About Diamonds!
Diamonds were once known as the end all, be all when it came to engagement rings. However, in these evolving generations, experiences seem to be the focal point of so many relationships. Likewise, alternative gemstones are becoming more popular among the current twenty-somethings.
A moissanite gemstone is born from the stars and showcases supreme durability. This affordable diamond-alternative is guaranteed conflict-free. Moissanite disperses light more brilliantly than a diamond and is lab created with minimal environmental impact.
Here are some other magnificent gemstones for an engagement ring along with their meanings:
Amethyst: Believed to help you through difficult times, this gemstone is mesmerizing. If you are looking for a long-lasting marriage, an amethyst can help lead you. The deep purple looks beautiful completed with a rose gold or yellow gold setting.
Sapphire: In the ancient world the sapphire was thought to bring protection and good fortune. Today it is often associated with wisdom. The bright blue of a sapphire could make anyone feel like Kate Middleton herself.
Emerald: Also known as the “Stone of Successful Love” it can be the seen as the perfect engagement stone! This bright green stone has been seen in many art deco and Victorian engagement rings and looks beautiful in a traditional setting.
Morganite: Given the name “Crystal of Divine Love” morganite is associated with eternal love and is perfect to give your loved one if you are looking for a diamond alternative. Its beautiful pink color sits beautifully in a rose gold setting.
Topaz: Traditionally a stone associated with luxury and opulence it has much of the same meaning today. Topaz comes in many different colors from more neutral tones to royal blues.
Aquamarine: Meaning, “water of the sea,” is believed to be the stones of mermaids. Aquamarine is perfect for anyone who loves the oceans and can’t get enough of the beach. The soft blue color will have them dreaming of blue waters.
Choosing a Setting
Beyond choosing a ring, selecting your setting is just as essential. Here at Ella Rose, we provide you with a wide variety of choices for engagement ring settings. Thus, we have everything from modern style settings to the traditional timeless settings. You should check out our guide for engagement ring settings for further detail.
Now, It’s Time to Pop the Question
Finally, you’ve chosen the perfect person and the perfect ring and the only thing left to do is pop the big question. This is a moment that you will never forget and both of your lives are going to change forever. To summarize, let’s go over the four rules to pulling off the perfect engagement.
- Keep it a secret, shhh!!!
- Send your loved one off for a manicure because every girl wants a fresh one for all those engagement ring pictures.
- If you can, be sure to hire a photographer or a friend to hide and capture the moment and raw emotions.
- Lastly, remember this moment is all about the two of you and growing your love for one another.
All in all, this short guide should help you choose the best engagement ring and make the process as simple as possible. Your engagement is all about the two of you. Therefore, you should make it as unique and as personal as your relationship.
Good luck and happy engagements to all!